Social media has opened up a pandora of advertising opportunities. But has it replaced email marketing? Not at all! Email is still the most effective online strategy. But you have to know your customer first. Take a look at the following statistics to know why email marketing still works.
Market Size Of Email
- In 2019, global email users amounted to 3.9 billion users.
- By 2023, global email users will grow to 4.3 billion users.
- More than 347 billion emails will be sent and received by 2022.
- The average number of email accounts to user ratio is 1.75 and rising.
- People spend 2.5 hours per weekday checking personal emails at work.
Email Engagement Statistics
- Average click-through rate for emails is 2.69%.
- 11:00 a.m. ET has the highest clickthrough rate for email sends.
- Tuesday is the best day of the week to send emails.
- Sales emails have 8 times more opens and clicks than other types of email.
- Sales emails can produce 6 times more money than other types of emails.
- Average open rate for a welcome email is 82%.
- 58% of adults immediately check their email on waking up.
- 20.9% of people check their email more than five times per day.
- 35% of marketing emails are opened based on subject lines alone.
- Email subject lines that use FOMO have an open rate of 56%.
- The word “free” can cause a 10% increase in open rates.
- The word “newsletter” can cause a 18% decrease in email open rates.
- 21% of marketing mails are marked as SPAM.
- 43% of marketing mails marked as SPAM are influenced by the sender’s name.
- 69% of marketing mails marked as SPAM are labeled based on the subject line.
- 82% of marketers send emails with subject lines of 60 characters or less.
- Being added to a single email blacklist can drop deliverability rate by 25 points.
- 56% of brands using emoji in their email lines had a higher open rate.
- The use of emoji in email marketing messages increased 775% from 2015 to 2016.
- The percentage of emails containing GIFs rose from 5.4% in 2015 to 10.3% in 2016.
- 80% of social networking members have received unsolicited emails or invites.
Email Campaign Statistics
- Shopping cart abandonment emails sent within an hour boost conversions by 6.33%.
- 73% of email marketers send emails at least weekly.
- 55% of consumers like email messages containing relevant products and offers.
- People who buy products through email marketing spend 138% more money than those who do not receive offers.
- Nearly nine out of every ten marketers use email marketing to distribute content organically.
- 81% of small businesses rely on email as their primary customer acquisition channel.
- 80% of business professionals believe that email marketing increases customer retention.
- Videos added to your email increase click rates by 300%.
- 44% of marketing email recipients will make at least one purchase in a year based on promo emails.
- 59% of respondents say marketing emails influence their purchase decisions.
- 22% of millennials want to see emails from brands they support.
- 57% of 45 – 54-year-olds want to see emails from brands they support.
- 68% of millennials say promotional emails have influenced their purchase decisions.
- 73% of millennials prefer communications from businesses to come via email.
- 35% of marketers send their customers 3-5 emails per week.
- 78% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months.
- 31% of B2B marketers say email newsletters are the best way to nurture leads.
Email Personalisation Statistics
- Open rates for personalised emails average 188% compared to 12.1% without personalisation.
- Emails with personalised subject lines generate 50% higher open rates.
- 94% of marketing professionals stated that personalisation is “extremely important” for meeting their email marketing objectives.
- 66% of all marketers are working towards securing internal resources to execute personalised marketing programs.
- Marketers who use segmented campaigns note as much as a 760% increase in revenue.
- [First Name] emails with personalised subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened.
Email ROI Statistics
- The return on investment for email marketing is 38 to 1.
- Average expected ROI is $42 for every $1 you spend on email marketing.
- 77% of email ROI comes from segmented, targeted and triggered campaigns.
- 87% of all marketers plan to invest more in their email marketing budget.
- Automated emails drive conversion rates 180% higher than batch emails.
- Email Marketing ROI was 28.5% compared to 7% for direct mail.
- Email marketing produces an average of 174% more conversions than social media.
Mobile Email Statistics
- The total number of worldwide mobile email users was 2.2 billion in 2018.
- 35% of business professionals check email on a mobile device.
- 56% of emails get read on iPhones or in Gmail.
- Mobile accounts for 46% of all email opens.
- 90% of all mobile opens occur on an Apple device.
- 68% of companies have already integrated mobile marketing into their overall marketing strategy.